Friday, October 22, 2010

Snare Some Change ? - Drums From a Life / DW Collectors Series Snare Drum

Photobucket

It brings tears to my eyes just looking at this pic.

L to R - Ludwig supraphonic (?) (serial number 255043 making it from Christmas 1965) Ludwig Accent CS Custom 6X14 (2009) DW Collectors Series 6X14 (serial number M566235) (10/21/10)

Ludwig - My second snare drum and my first Real snare drum (the previous was a twenty dollar jobby) was the metal vintage Ludwig that I purchased in 1982 along with five (maybe six) Zildjian cymbals and a five piece gold sparkle Ludwig Ringo kit for the unbelievable (even by 1982 standards) sum of $250 !!! These drums served me well and proved themselves roadworthy with the Sub Basement Blues Band (That snare has been onstage at CBGBs 3 times and L'amour once)

Ludwig Accent CS Custom - Once I started becoming professional on a regular basis (White Wedding) I figured it was time to get myself some decent drums of my very own instead of borrowing Doc Brown's very adequate Ludwig "School Bus Yellow" five piece kit and cymbals so I purchased a five piece Ludwig CS Custom Accent drum kit ($700ish) and a set of Sabian AAX cymbals ($800ish) at a later date. More than Nice and A Set For Life, The Ludwig CS snare drum has been on stage three times at B.B. Kings Blues Club in Times Square and has consistently made me proud and sound great for nearly one hundred gigs, Like I Said A Set For Life but frequent higher paying gigs made me strive for loftier goals. Is this beginning to sound like a Grimm's Fairy Tale ?

Photobucket

The House where I bought my first Drum kit on 58th street & 18th avenue.

Photobucket

The Drum department at Sam Ash on Flatbush Avenue where I purchased my DW snare drum..

Photobucket

After taking a blind taste test at Guitar Center (Union Square) I came very close to purchasing a Pork Pie snare drum (Tama was the close second) but kept eyeballing the unaffordable $600 DW snares off to the side.

Photobucket

With some prodding from J and deciding to eat my words and finally take my own advice "Do It Right The First Time" and in this case it was "Do It Right The Third Time" I bit the bullet and plunked down five and change ($520.39 MSRP $884.00) and did it right. Now we are Really Talking about a Snare Drum for Life.

The DW is seen above with its "Mag" throwoff switch in the "off" position.

Photobucket

3P Three Position Butt Plate (BWAHAHAHA), Oh Really

Photobucket

Numbered Lugs on a Drumhead ? (1 through 10) who knew ?

Photobucket

My DW Snare is sympathetic to Timbre Note B.

Photobucket

Of course we are talking features without foundation, I will be able to finally take the DW out for a morning drive with full ensemble playing this coming Wednesday evening with White Wedding so watch this space for more details as they develop. (see above 10/28/10)

Photobucket

No comments: