Thursday, June 6, 2019

GODZILLA:King of the Monsters - UA Sheepshead Bay 5/6/19 Brooklyn, New York


Frank said "Never in my life did I expect to see an Americanized high budget version of what is basically Destroy All Monsters" and I certainly concur with this thought, while not boasting a gaggle of Kilaaks or an SY-7 rocketship we do get whats important, nameingly The Big G accompanied by Mothra, Rodan and Ghidrah (Ghidorah as the new spelling goes) harking back to the lineup from the film Ghidrah, The Three Headed Monster so whatever way you slice it G-fans worldwide and us two were riding the crest of extreme high anticipation and Legendary Pictures paid off in spades.

My initial and standing impression after first viewing is that I care nothing for the human characters in the film and aside from Mr. Watanabe could care less if their characters lived or died, character driven as this must be to relate to us mere humans is the reason this is not just a Huge WWF Brawlfest and we need earthbound situations to move the plot along of course.

This brings us to the Brawlfest aspect.

A feast for the eyes aimed at the heart of Kaiju fandom as things unraveled very quickly, a must see a few more times to catch nuances that went by fleetingly onscreen and need to be examined more thoroughly OR I can not wait to view this film again. Rodan in particular impressed my synapses more than expected but I suppose I was not expecting as much from The Bird Is The Word. Of course aside from Godzilla my main point of intense interest lie with Ghidrah, a favorite of my cinematic life and I was not let down in the least bit. Menacing, Majestic and Monstrous.

The post credits scene took me off guard as well since I was assuming it would be Kong related and was only slightly so. I am writing this too much as a review and not enough as The Experience so here is some Experience below.


A visit to 18th avenue from Frank just is not a visit to 18th avenue from Frank without a stop off at Silver Star, this shall continue as long as there is an 18th avenue and a Silver Star gracing it.

Frank got his usual Shrimp with Lobster Sauce, Malkito tried his first Egg Foo Young (and became a true fan of Duck Sauce) and I chose a Lunch Special portion of Sweet & Sour Pork, We all had Wonton Soup.

Then off to the film we travelled for an hour on the B4 bus.


My Facebook post as this happened is worded.

LEAVE THE GUN, TAKE THE TAKI'S - We are steering young Malkito towards the way of the "gangsta". Why pay over inflated candy prices at the concession stand when you can do what we did, smuggle in a concealed snack. Can you spot the TAKI'S (snack food) in the photo ?




No comments: