Wednesday, June 26, 2019

BOX SETS FROM JIM



Jim is an old buddy from the Music Center daze and is amongst my friends who are the most voracious of Music lovers of which my meager knowledge is appalling compared to theirs. This is saying quite a bit at least from my vantage point being "me" and I can get quite nerdy and wide ranging on the subject myself, of course mine is 20th century pop/rock tunes and I barely scratch the surface of the barely scratched.

A handful of my friends are comparable to Paul Bunyan in the breadth and width of Music Facts and Encyclopedic Recall, I can only hope to attempt to copy Babe the Blue Ox but my life has been peppered with great instructors.

So Jim has gifted me quite a few complete Box Set collections in the form of MP3s and I figure for time capsule sake to put down some brief descriptions concerning my opinion of the se Audio Delites.

Thanks Jim.



DECCA Records - Strange Pleasures/further Sounds of the Underground (Decca) - After being willing victim to the wonderful collection "Lullabies For Catatonics" this one comes off a bit of a dud, somewhat dated which should not bother me but nothing grabs me outright whereas "Lullabies" was killer track after track. Decca records may have had the wrong A & R department working for them and trying too hard to stay with the times. Lots of Orchestras on some of these recordings as was the flavor of the time as well as the Guitar Freak Out.





No comments: